Monday, October 28, 2013

Love or Illusion?

In Books Eight-Nine, we watch Natasha’s character change through her romantic woes. She was once a carefree child, full of innocence, and a girl always crushing on boys. That slowly changes when Andrew has to leave for a year. This puts Natasha to the test. Can she handle a serious commitment? 

When love is not as carefree-Natasha becomes more impatient and agitated. When Anatole eyes Natasha, the commitment falls apart. Natasha succumbs to Anatole’s charms and tries to elope with him. 

I think Tolstoy adds Anatole to the picture to show that his and Natasha’s emotional infatuation was a mere illusion. This is also apparent in Nicholas’s crush on Mary Hendrikhovana. He and the other male officers like Mary Hendrikhovana not because of “love” but because they yearn for female companionship. With this in mind, do you think Natasha and Pierre’s forming relationship will reveal Tolstoy’s ideal take on “real love” or will this be another illusion?

4 comments:

  1. I think that Tolstoy's focus on Pierre and Natasha's "Friendship First" building of the relationship is a refreshing approach to what we've seen previously. Further, I think that this newfound approach is going to reveal how Tolstoy believes people find 'true love.' I'm interested to see this play out, but at the same time, Pierre kinda gives me the creeps, so I'm not so sure how I'll handle a relationship between him and Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you! The other relationships we've seen thus far haven't started with "Friendship First," and that could be another reason why they failed miserably. Although Pierre seems a bit old for Natasha, I think their feelings will build up nicely and their chemistry might bring them together and result in a lasting love.

      Delete
  2. I like your analogy of Nicholas’s crush on Mary Hendrikhovyana, Ayesha! I agree with you that Natasha had obsession with Anatole because she was devoid of companionship. I don’t know the truest definition of love but I want to consider the affection between Natasha and Anatole as love, though this is a superficial and unsuccessful love. Since I believe that when Tolstoy tries to display the transition of Natasha, the maturity of Natasha’s belief for love will play an important role in it. The love with either Andrew or Anatole was so spontaneous that she just followed her heart and fell in love immediately. After her change, Natasha starts to consider more before her love with Pierre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha's spontaneous encounters with various relationships has definitely brought a change in her. Like you said, her maturity will be important and I think it will help her realize what she wants in love.

      Delete